What is the staff insight survey
The staff insight survey enables organisations to collect and analyse data from those staff supporting the delivery of learning, about key aspects of the digital environment provided by their institution and how they use digital technologies in their teaching.
How well supported are your staff to provide the high-quality digital teaching and learning experience your students expect?
Teaching staff are key to enabling students’ digital experience in the curriculum. They have their own experience of the digital environment for teaching and learning but can sometimes feel at the mercy of student opinion or that their own perspective is given less importance. Students may not know or understand what constraints and opportunities staff have to work with. For these reasons we have launched a dedicated survey for those staff supporting the delivery of learning.
The survey questions fall into four key themes:
- You and your digital technology
- Organisational infrastructure
- Your digital teaching
- Your professional development
The primary purpose of the survey is to allow organisations to collect valid, representative and actionable data from their staff and to support staff to have an collaborative role in shaping their digital experience.
Who is it for?
Our staff insight survey has been designed to support colleges, universities and training or work-based learning providers to gather data from staff about their digital experience. The data helps organisations to make better informed decisions about the digital environment, to target resources where they are most needed and to contribute to quality enhancement.
Get a 360 degree perspective by combining the student and staff surveys
If you are running both the student and staff digital experience surveys you can gain greater insight looking at the findings in relation to other organisational data. This will give you a more rounded picture of your organisation’s digital practices and provision - a 360 degree perspective.
How it works
The staff insight survey is delivered and managed in Jisc online surveys, an online survey service specially developed for the UK education sector. The survey template is based around a concise core set of questions that have been intensively tested with staff in FE and HE for relevance and ease of response.
The survey is run on an annual cycle. The survey timeframe is between October and May each year and you are free to choose the time that suits your organisation best. Typically institutions allow a three week period for staff to respond.
We currently offer three different versions of the staff digital experience insight survey – each with the option to add customised questions to ascertain information relevant to just your organisation:
- Skills and work-based learning
We also provide Welsh translations of each version.
How the insights service is driving change
The data helps me to prioritise staff training. So we look at what the learners have asked for, we look at what the staff require in order to get to that point, to satisfy everybody. For the learners to be happy then we need the staff to have the right skills to deliver that within the classroom.Janine Magee, quality assurance, teaching and learning manager
The data provides us with a much greater understanding of our students’ expectations when it comes to the inclusion of technology within learning and teaching and this is important for us to be able to use to develop a much more modern, forward looking curriculum as we move forward with our programmes in the future.Duncan MacIver, technology enhanced learning manager, Canterbury Christ Church University
Subscribe to our digital experience insight service for:
- Access to the student insight survey template and mini survey
- Access to the staff insight survey template and mini survey
- Guidance on completion of the surveys in Jisc online surveys
- Free licence for Jisc online surveys to run the insights surveys
- Real-time access to own data
- Email support
- Membership of our community of practice and a mailing list open only to subscribers
- Advice on how to understand and respond to the findings and benchmarked data (including: webinars, blog posts and written step-by-step guides)
- Access to benchmarked data, allowing organisations to compare their own results against all student users within each sector version of the insights service
- Templates to use when summarising and sharing results with departmental and management teams as well as with staff within the institution