What is the student insight survey
The student insight survey is a survey that enables organisations to collect and analyse data from students about how they feel about key aspects of the digital environment provided by their institution and how digital technologies are used in learning and teaching.
The survey questions fall into four key themes:
- The digital lives of students
- Digital in the institution
- Digital at course level
- Student attitudes to digital
The primary purpose of the survey is to allow organisations to collect valid, representative and actionable data from their students and to support a process for engaging students in shaping their digital experience.
Who is it for?
Our student insight survey has been designed to support colleges and universities to gather data from students about their digital experience. The data helps organisations to make better informed decisions about the digital environment, to target resources where they are most needed and to contribute to quality enhancement.
How it works
The student insight survey is delivered and managed in Jisc online surveys, an online survey service specially developed for the UK education sector. The survey template is based around a concise core set of questions that have been intensively tested with students in FE, training providers and HE for relevance, readability and ease of response.
The survey is run on an annual cycle. The survey timeframe is between October and April each year and you are free to choose the time that suits your organisation best. Typically institutions allow a three week period for students to respond.
We currently offer three different versions of the student digital experience insight survey – each with the option to add customised questions to ascertain information relevant to just your organisation:
- Online learners
We also provide Welsh translations of each version.
What the students say
I think it is really important that other students can get involved with the conversation around digital technologies because technology is so widely used everywhere in every job role.Josh, student at City of Wolverhampton College (2018)
I feel passionately about taking part in the insights survey because I use a lot of the university’s digital resources and so I wanted to point out the areas that I thought benefited me and areas that I thought could do with some improvement for future students coming along.Rachel, student at The University of Stirling
How the insights service is driving change
The data provides us with a much greater understanding of our students’ expectations when it comes to the inclusion of technology within learning and teaching and this is important for us to be able to use to develop a much more modern, forward looking curriculum as we move forward with our programmes in the future.Duncan MacIver, technology enhanced learning manager, Canterbury Christ Church University
What it’s done basically is provide us, our learners and our wider college community with a voice that contributes to how we move our digital strategy forward. So now it’s not about my strategy – it is about their strategy, their resources, their digital environment and that is very powerful.Conrad Taylor, e-learning manager, quality, City of Wolverhampton College
Subscribe to our digital experience insight service for:
- Access to the student insight survey template
- Access to the staff insight survey template
- Guidance on completion of the surveys in Jisc online surveys
- Free licence for Jisc online surveys to run the insights surveys
- Real-time access to own data
- Email support
- Membership of our community of practice and a closed subscribers mailing list
- Advice on how to understand and respond to the findings and benchmarked data (including: webinars, blog posts and written step-by-step guides)
- Access to benchmarked data, allowing organisations to compare their own results against all student users in their sector
- Templates to use when summarising and sharing results with departmental and management teams as well as with students within the organisation